Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Wind in My Sails….

is gone.  But that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

In the days of sailing ships, crews could be stranded for days or weeks on end with no wind for their sails.  Areas of the sea near the equator were most likely to be without wind for endless days.  Sailors called the windless days “the doldrums,” and legends abound of sailors being driven mad by the sensory deprivation of endless calm seas which offered no visual, tactile, or auditory relief from the seas blending into the horizon.

The doldrums, however, can be a good place to rest from constant motion and threats of storms, fickle winds, and ocean swells.  They provide time to mend the sails and nets, touch up the varnish, refill the fish barrels, wash and mend clothing, and finish any number of chores for preservation and renewal of ship and crew.  And it when the chores are done, there is time and energy left for recreation.  A welcomed break.  A “staycation” of sorts.

So while my adrenal glad is providing insufficient “wind in my sails,” I am experiencing a sort of sensory deprivation…limiting social contacts and avoiding both good and bad stress whenever possible. Some folks might think that my withdrawal is symptomatic of depression.  But they’d be wrong.  Mostly I’m trying to avoid having to stress dose so my adrenal function has time to improve.  Life is good.  I am quite happy.  I am simply resting and relaxing as much as possible.  Giving my body some healing time away from the demands of an active sea. 

I am certainly not avoiding life.  These past months have been house-hunting months.  But I’ve spent a lot of time at home, quietly searching the Internet for homes and only venturing out to view the ones our realtors have pre-screened for us—a half dozen or so.  This week, we put a house under contract.  If all goes as planned, we will be moved by the middle of October.  We’ll delegate and hire out as much of the move as possible.  I’m sure life will be much busier after that with all of our grandchildren only minutes away.

After the storms and rough waters of Cushing’s Syndrome, I could get used to living on the calm waters of the doldrums.  Still, humans need some stress in their lives.

If only to avoid the madness…..

4 comments:

  1. I want to thank you for writing this blog (been reading on the multiply one but will be following this one).
    I'm waiting on the results of test to (probably) confirm that I have some form of Cushings. So I've been browsing the web to find as much info as I can. And while a lot of things are (quite) depressing, it is also comforting to read that things can change and a nice future might still be ahead.
    Even though I don't know you, I wanted you to know that I really appreciate your writings. And I wish you all the best!

    Carolien

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with house hunting - getting what you need is gteater than quichness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, the house-hunting is over. More about that on http://nancyjanuary.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  3. Carolien,

    Thank you so much for letting me know you read my blog. Every Cushie's experience is different. Reading blogs written by other Cushies helps me understand my experience better. I pay it forward by writing about my own experience.

    In general, those who are diagnosed and treated early have the best hope of full recovery. The rest of us will have varying degrees of recovery. Regardless of how mild or severe our Cushing's was, I have yet to meet a cured Cushie who didn't agree that our worst day without Cushing's is better than our best day with it.

    So be encouraged that better days are ahead for you. And stay in touch. I'd love to get to know you and hear your story.

    ReplyDelete